What You Will Learn
- Begin to master the art of capturing the Milky Way, star trails, panoramas, timelapses, and composites.
- How to shoot and develop an eye for night-scape compositions that stand out amongst others.
- How to understand and make use of the relationship of shutter speed, ISO, and aperture in creating a well balanced exposure.
- How to focus your lens at night.
- General astronomy to aid you in planning your night photos. Topics include the moon's phases, finding the milky way and other key features of the night sky, light pollution, and aurora.
- How to illuminate the foreground photos using separate exposures and/or advanced lighting techniques.
- From importing to exporting your photos to utilize the full potential of the data. Including how and when to use noise reduction. (Post Processing 1 on 1 is only included in multi-day workshops but not single night workshops. A detailed video will be available for single night students)
What You Will Need
- A DSLR Camera that can perform in manual (M) mode.
- At least 2 fully charged camera batteries and 16GBs of memory card storage. We will be shooting in RAW.
- A wide angle lens that is at least 24mm with an aperture of f/2.8 or faster is recommended but not required. (you can borrow lenses from your local camera store or www.lenslenders.ca if needed)
- Shutter release or intervalometer.
- Sturdy tripod.
- *Multi night students will require their computer with Lightroom and/or Photoshop installed.
- Pencil and notepad.
- Headlamp that has a red light mode.
- Warm clothes, camp chair, bug repellent.
- Food and water that you require.
- Transportation and accommodations.
Walking: Up to 5km one way hikes
There will be some moderate hiking for our locations. Students should be able to walk up to 2 hours on uneven ground without difficulty. We will make sure to allow plenty of time to get to our locations, but there will be some terrain to cross to get to our destinations.
Prior photo skill: none needed!
Post Processing Education
Students will receive two 3 hour group editing workshops +
complementary advanced post processing videos (valued at 100$) to refer back to once the workshop is complete.
Bringing a Friend
If students wish to bring a friend, spouse, or family member we kindly ask 50% of the purchase price to cover logistics, fees, materials, and insurance.
You can email Nich through the contact button on this website to notify us of your guest and pay.
Ultimately, weather is an uncontrollable part of night sky photography. Regardless of conditions we will stay out and shoot as long as it is safe to do so. We suggest that all participants plan to be flexible and attend the workshop one day prior to or one day after the scheduled date. That way, if weather becomes an issue we can shoot before/after the scheduled date. Clouds play a role in capturing the night sky. Even in overcast conditions we promise that you will come away with beautiful images, knowledge, and the ability of capturing the night sky.
Deposits are non-refundable. Deposits are 50% of the purchase price.
In the unlikely event, we cancel the workshop and are unable to transfer you to another one of our workshops or offer a reasonable alternative - a 100% refund of your payment will be issued.
If you cancel and your spot can be filled your payment will be refunded (minus the deposit). If you cancel outside of 60 days before the scheduled workshop you will receive a refund minus the deposit. If you cancel inside of 60 days before the workshop and we are unable to fill your spot there will be no refund.
There are no refunds for unforeseen weather events that take place during the workshop dates or if you are unable to attend our weather flex-date before/after the scheduled workshop date. This includes cloud cover, smoke from wildfires, park closures due to unforeseen weather circumstances, or other such events. If this occurs we will make every reasonable effort to work with local authorities to present you with a reasonable alternative. We are not responsible for any reimbursement of travel, lodging, equipment rentals, or other related expenses. We recommend purchasing travel insurance to cover your non-refundable registration fees, travel, lodging, equipment rentals, or other related expenses.
One night workshops will only run Saturday if there are less than 4 one night participants signed up. Participants will likely have the choice between Friday and Saturday, provided the minimum 4 people sign up.